using a computerised share-trading program to manipulate the market for S&P 500 futures contracts

RF1508

Absolutely.

I have been working on a project that uses "Big data" (Basically all data that you can get your hands on such as the weather report, twitter, forex data etc. etc) to combine and get new insights.
It's amazing to see how new and previously unfound relations between seemingly non-relational stuff can be found.

This technology combines the data and has the intelligence to find relations in this bulk of data and even make suggestions on it's own.
I do believe that using this technology will give someone a competing edge.

Unfortunately there are only a couple of people in the world who are currently able to program this technology properly. In my project the biggest challenge was to make sure the computer geeks kept working.
Literally. If a bird starts singing these guys just stop working to listen to it's song.

At this point I know intelligence agencies (the spy guys) are using this technology but also NASA and an organization trying to plot DNA onto all know diseases.

I wish I could get my hands on it because it runs on just a regular pc. (You only need a building full with hard disks to store the data) o_O

Robbert