If two signals appear at the same time, which trade do you take?

Castlemain

Casual Member

This must be a dilemma that price action traders face all the time. I have solved this problem by changing my rules to exposure as follows:
  • Maximum risk of 1% on any trade

• Maximum risk of 2% on any currency

• Maximum risk of 3% on any currency if one of the trades S/L is moved to break-even

• TOTAL maximum risk of 4% on any currency if stops are moved to preserve a minimum of 300 pips profit.
I am now able to have multiple trades open at any one time. Here's a snapshot of my current exposure (paper trading).

Pair Date Timeframe Signal Direction
EURJPY 02/10/15 D1 RC LONG
GBPJPY 02/10/15 H4 RC LONG
AUDUSD 02/10/15 D1 IDB LONG
AUDJPY 02/10/15 D1 RC LONG
GBPAUD 02/10/15 D1 RC SHORT
EURGBP 05/10/15 D1 RC SHORT
AUDNZD 06/10/15 H4 BOT SHORT
USDCAD 08/10/15 D1 RC LONG

Currency exposure:

AUD: long 3, short 1
CAD: short 1
EUR: long 1
GBP: long 2, short 1
JPY: short 2
NZD: short 1
USD: long 1, short 1

This is a massive advantage to me in terms of dealing with fear. Up to now, I have fretted about single trades with a 2% exposure, with a tendency to close trades out early. Now, with a maximum of 1% on any individual trade and with multiple trades in play, I am preoccupied with my total overall position, taking a much more objective view of any single trade.

Last edited:

takumi

Forum Newbie
Dear Castlemain,

I was pondering this the other day.

Good recommendations/structure. I will try it out.

Thank you

This must be a dilemma that price action traders face all the time. I have solved this problem by changing my rules to exposure as follows:
  • Maximum risk of 1% on any trade

• Maximum risk of 2% on any currency

• Maximum risk of 3% on any currency if one of the trades S/L is moved to break-even

• TOTAL maximum risk of 4% on any currency if stops are moved to preserve a minimum of 300 pips profit.
I am now able to have multiple trades open at any one time. Here's a snapshot of my current exposure (paper trading).

Pair Date Timeframe Signal Direction
EURJPY 02/10/15 D1 RC LONG
GBPJPY 02/10/15 H4 RC LONG
AUDUSD 02/10/15 D1 IDB LONG
AUDJPY 02/10/15 D1 RC LONG
GBPAUD 02/10/15 D1 RC SHORT
EURGBP 05/10/15 D1 RC SHORT
AUDNZD 06/10/15 H4 BOT SHORT
USDCAD 08/10/15 D1 RC LONG

Currency exposure:

AUD: long 3, short 1
CAD: short 1
EUR: long 1
GBP: long 2, short 1
JPY: short 2
NZD: short 1
USD: long 1, short 1

This is a massive advantage to me in terms of dealing with fear. Up to now, I have fretted about single trades with a 2% exposure, with a tendency to close trades out early. Now, with a maximum of 1% on any individual trade and with multiple trades in play, I am preoccupied with my total overall position, taking a much more objective view of any single trade.

TheForexGuy

Forex Mentor
You can also split your risk up if two trades form at the same time. Instead of risking $500 on one trade, you could split it, risk $250 on the two trades and not break your money management rules.