Trading The News

jonathanleger

Casual Member
Hey everybody,

This is my first post, so first of all, hi. :) I'm new to Forex trading and loved the PA course. I've read it twice now and I'm sure I'll be doing so again.

My question is regarding trading the news. I got in on the right side of the NFP report today and so I'm doing good at the moment, with my trade up 33 pips and climbing. The pre-data said the report was looking to be soft compared to analysts estimates and with the China trade war really heating up I figured even if the report was better than expected the drop would be buffered by that.

It's still risky, though, which leads me to my question: does anyone here trade the news? If so, do you have any recommended tactics for analysis etc? Is it really as risky as I've read elsewhere? I've seen people state that their stop loss wasn't triggered because things happened too fast etc. But I've also read that the NFP impact has lessened over the years. The movement today certainly didn't seem fast enough to cause any stop loss misses so with proper money management it seems to me that it's risky but doable.

Since I'm reading mixed signals regarding news trading, and since I am doing quite well with today's NFP, I'm interested in any feedback from people here.

Thanks in advance.

Jon