Trading Daily High/Low breakouts inline with Weekly & Monthly Candles

erebus

TFG Forum Legend
Dale / others,

Has anyone heard of this concept?

Look at previous Month candle e.g. Up or Down

Look at previous Week candle e.g. Up or Down

IF Month candle was DOWN and Week candle was DOWN

Don't trade Mondays, but if that candle is UP, then trade the breakout to the DOWN side

If no entry Tuesday due to another UP candle, set breakout trade below that candle, and so on

Until entry into the hopefully, resuming trendmonth.png week.png

Some pictures to follow, this is the EUR/USD

Some guys on another forum reckon they are cleaning upday.png

Sadly, they will be missing out on EUR/JPY as it had UP month in February

Stops, take profits all up to your own experience / risk tolerance / confidencemonth.png

Questions / comments / criticisms / your thoughts ?????

erebus

TFG Forum Legend
Interesting, are you still active there? Can you check if they are claiming any sucess?

As it turns out, EUR was up on Thursday, gives another breakout entry point.

Disappointing that this method excludes EUR/JPY for this month due to the last UP month

Maybe back with vengeance next month, plenty of room below!month1.png

TheForexGuy

Forex Mentor
Yes I can see the value in this way of thinking. As I've said you always see that 'early week' retracement. That's why Friday Close signals / Monday price action can generally be a pain in the ass.

erebus

TFG Forum Legend
The EUR-USD never worked out, I can't find any pair that did, and now with an UP week, it will be out of contention for next week

Which is how this method keeps you trading with the trend only, March will never be an UP month

So if first week of April is Down Week, opportunity may present itself during the second week

Otherwise, wait for complete change of trend

erebus

TFG Forum Legend
Sure no problem, I stopped using it, seems to have extra text on top of the writing, I deleted Objects and saved new templates but still it appears

You can try it and see

Attachments

• Recent Candles.zip
    40.3 KB · Views: 58

TheForexGuy

Forex Mentor
I always thought of a weekly breakout strategy that lined up with the previous candle direction, and during london hours.

In your strategy Erebus, you suggest waiting for a monthly and weekly candle to line up in the same direction. Don't trade any monday breakouts, but take any downside, or upside breakout depending on the w1 & m1 candle direction?

Ill check out the indicator and see if I can clean it up.

TheForexGuy

Forex Mentor
Here is a cleaned up version. This is what I did...
  • Removed unnecessary objects
  • Set the default time frames to W1 & M1 only
  • Changed the color theme to blue and red candles
  • Changed default background color to LightGray
The code is very messy and has a lot of junk in it. I think someone has tapped into a Heiken Ashi candle indicator and injected code to mold it into this.

But it works.

Another Idea is to could make an alert function that waits for breakouts that meet the conditions
  • No breakout alarms on Monday
  • Bearish breakout alarm if price breaks below prev D1 Low if W1 AND M1 prev candles are both bearish
  • Bullish breakout alarm if price breaks above prev D1 High if W1 AND M1 prev candles are both bullish.

Attachments

• Multi Time Frame Window.zip
    59.7 KB · Views: 81

erebus

TFG Forum Legend
Don't worry about alerts, got a Dashboard for that, O look, there is ADR also :)

On Steve Hopwood forum they have robot to trade this strategydash.png

erebus

TFG Forum Legend
I always thought of a weekly breakout strategy that lined up with the previous candle direction, and during london hours.

In your strategy Erebus, you suggest waiting for a monthly and weekly candle to line up in the same direction. Don't trade any monday breakouts, but take any downside, or upside breakout depending on the w1 & m1 candle direction?

Ill check out the indicator and see if I can clean it up.
Sure no problem, I stopped using it, seems to have extra text on top of the writing, I deleted Objects and saved new templates but still it appears

You can try it and see

Yes, take a break on Daily at recommended 20 pips below or above, so it has to be good move

Myself, I reckon using the Monthly is too much, data will be from 5 to 8 or 9 weeks out; I think looking at the previous 5 weeks gives current situation of trend

Is last week's Close higher or lower than the Open of 5 weeks ago? Check on Weekly chart, watch for retracement on Daily.

But this week I'll be following Weekly, Daily and trade 4 H bars

Robot can do this on demo, I will choose best pairs and setups for live.

TheForexGuy

Forex Mentor
Myself, I reckon using the Monthly is too much

Agreed it might be a bit too much. The weekly candle is the important piece of data here.

I think the anatomy of the weekly candle should probably affect trading decisions here too. A weekly Indecision candle might need more condition for just taking breaks of the daily highs/lows. But a strong bodied weekly candle could suggest more aggresive approaches like the daily breaks.

If the weekly candle didn't look so healthy, then one might not take breakouts unless price breaks the previous weekly range also

erebus

TFG Forum Legend
Absolutely, that was in my mind, but you use those big words better than me!

Only have to look at the previous monthly candle of GBP-AUD, now that screened out trades for 3 weeks now, because it was up

And yet weekly / daily are giving good signals, 10 + 20 MA crossed over

TheForexGuy

Forex Mentor
Yeah the monthly candle is just too sluggish. Most of the move is probably over if you get a beefy MN1 candle.

The other question is where stops should be placed. I would be inclined to put them above the current day high/low, or if you want to be more aggressive use h4 swing high/lows for stop placements.

TheForexGuy

Forex Mentor
eurusd daily.jpg

So we're waiting for a bullish breakout here.

In line with lasts weeks bullish candle, not taking the monthly candle into account because it's overkill and lags the system too much.

Interested to see how these breakouts play out.

erebus

TFG Forum Legend
Here are the 16 pairs I'm watching for Daily trades, alerts for GBP-JPY and GBP-USD

24-03-2015 2-37-46 PM.png
The columns are Month, Week direction; and then Mon Tue Wed Thu

with your chart, you do not have a pullback day, apart from the the fact Month & Week do not match

TheForexGuy

Forex Mentor
I am just going to exclude the monthly candle at this stage and just go with a weekly/daily combination to see how we go.

Monday wasn't a down day here, but since this is the first bullish weekly candle in a while - I think the market has plenty of room to correct upward. It's only play money anyway.

exterior

Forum Newbie
@erebus
I missed something on your explanation.

1. Is the breakout only traded, if the previous daily candle is in the opposit direction of the monthly and weekly candles?
Example:
Previous Month: bearish; Previous Week: bearish;
Monday:
- bullish --> trade breakout on Tuesday
- bearish --> don't trade breakout on Tuesday
?

2. is only a breakout of the monday candle going to be traded?
Example (assuming that only the breakout of an opposite daily candle is traded):
Previous Month: bearish; Previous Week: bearish;
Monday: bearish - no trade;
Tuesday: bearish - no trade;
Wednesday: bullish - trade breakout on Thursday;