Optimal trade size formula

bladerunner

Forum Newbie
Does anyone have a suggestion for determining their maximum risk or position size (as % equity) and optimal leverage ratios? Basically I don't mind about the size of the drawdown potentially as long as it does not go to zero, but want to maximize the rate of increase of the equity.

I have read a lot of times that one should not risk more than 2%, but I am not sure what this is based on. Then I have also read about Kelly criterion and Vince's Optimal f, which suggest:
Kelly: %= W – [(1 – W) / R]. W=win rate, R=win/loss ratio. For me this would be 25%
Vince's optimal f, with f= 25%,
leverage-formula.png

TheForexGuy

Forex Mentor
I don't think leverage should be part of your calculation. That's when you know your playing with fire.

Just a simple % of account doesn't work for you? Some traders like to go off % of available margin instead, so the more trades you open the less your risk becomes with each new position , even though your account capital is the same at the point of these calculations.

I don't favor the win/loss ratio. As we know markets are always changing and your win loss ratio will dramatically change each month. Sometimes your kill it, sometimes it's struggle street. It's too much of an oscillating variable for me.

Dhens

Forum Newbie
for me , i revised my plan to fixed amount of risk and targeting 1:3 risk reward ratio. , in this scenario you know already your risk amount that you are comfortable with , and even if you only win 3 trades out of 10 , you still gain.

bladerunner

Forum Newbie
Hi TFG, there is probably no formula that will be right. Which is why I question the 2% of equity figure. I think that you have to have an idea of probability of being right (win/loss rate) to be able to scale your trades and size. And this may vary with trades. Say you have a risk/reward of at least 1:5, you figure the probability of payoff is 90%, what % of your equity would you put on the trade ? I would say this is worth a much bigger position size than say something where the win rate is 50%. It happens irregularly but this is where 95% of my profit has come from. The rest of the time I shouldn't trade. Occasionally (but not that rarely, it about every 3 months but feels longer) something comes along that is very high probability and high reward based on what you know (technically, fundamentally, sentiment based), like Euro QE or the post SNB floor removal and you can ride that and add to the position on the way. You can easily triple your equity with even 1:20 leverage in such a move without pyramiding the position. Things like that I still kick myself about why I didn't have a larger position when I knew I should have and instead worry and waste time about 2% trades at 0.5 probabilities, which are much worse EV wise and actually more risk although they are smaller position size. It is a delusion that 20 x 2% trades are better than one 40% trade if the 2% trades are negative EV and the 40% trade is a positive EV. That is from my very limited experience anyway.

Dhens, I think the risk: reward is important but hard to quantify the potential reward which is path dependent. All I can estimate is the potential runway for a trade. It might be large, say 1000 pips but might turn out to be 2000 pips or 200 pips and I get stopped out. I reckon though, if I see something with potential runway and the probability of win is high (e.g 0.8) then I would be happy to risk 25%-50% of my equity. I am not sure if this is prudent though. The problem is first to identify when to scale up and not to do this habitually otherwise it will certainly result in blow up. Perhaps 50% is too high, maybe I should have a 25% limit to position size.

TheForexGuy

Forex Mentor
I think risk amount and position size really comes down to your risk tolerance, and your financial situation also. Most people are conservatively trying to build up their account - which is the standard 2% way.

If you want to amp things up under certain conditions then it's a more personalized thing. It all comes down to what you're comfortable with risking at the end, and whether you accept the risk for the reward potential.

erebus

TFG Forum Legend
This has been around for awhile, have to do the math on % risk at each stage to compare I reckon

Attachments

• 'Fixed Ratio' money.pdf
    232.2 KB · Views: 42

tjenarvi

TFG Forum Junkie
yeah too easy example of 200 pips a month .... nobody will realize that they are in GREED trap when got 200 pips just in the beginning of month